Thursday, April 23, 2009

Apples to Apples


This was such a fun evening! Gladys invited me to her undergrad class (sophomore level) to teach them how to play Apples to Apples, which is great for learning vocabulary. I had the game shipped from the U.S. The students LOVED it, and some of the vocabulary learned was a riot. I learned that Mr. Potato Head in Spanish is "Senor Cara de Papa," which translates as "Mr. Potato Face." I find that hilarious, for some reason. I also learned that there are no chipmunks in Chile, and that the word they use here for "flip-flops" is "condoritas," since the flip-flop kind of resembles the condor, their national bird. (Then I had a musical flashback to Simon & Garfunkel's "El Condor Pasa!") Fascinating stuff! Oh, and the students learned some good English vocab, too, like squishy, chubby, and slimy. The word "inchworm" was new for them, and I found myself having to convert the inchworm to the metric system!

No comments:

Post a Comment