Sunday, March 15, 2009

DiMango's

This was the great discovery of my weekend - DiMango's on the beach. It's a restuarant, outdoor cafe, bar, and "heladeria" (ice cream place) all in one spot. It's about a ten minute walk from where I'm staying. I had a little communication breakdown with ice cream ordering, however. For some reason, when you order a cup of "un sabor" (one flavor) here, you always get two flavors. (This happened to me at another place as well.) What I wanted - and thought I was asking for - was one flavor with chocolate syrup, but the man kept trying to give me a second scoop of chocolate ice cream to go with my dulce de leche scoop. I finally discovered that I needed to be asking for "un bano de chocolate" (literally, a chocolate bath - sounds nice!). Alas, it turns out that the chocolate bath is the kind that hardens into a shell on the ice cream. Not bad, though. As I left I was thinking how even simple things are just a little harder in another language, and sometimes you just have to throw your hands up an take what you get. At least I walked away with ice cream and not something else! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment