Monday, March 23, 2009

Un Buen Dia


Yesterday was such a good, relaxing Sunday. I spent the morning at the pool, reading and resting. Then at 2 pm I headed to Gladys's house for lunch with her family. Her daughter Mariluz is visiting from Santiago for a few days. In the photo are Oscar, her youngest son, Mariluz, and Gladys. Her two daughters' names are Mariluz and Marisol, which in English would translate to "Mary Light" and "Mary Sun." I've always liked those names in Spanish. We were at the table three hours, eating, talking, drinking wine, talking, drinking coffee, talking. At 7 pm I had another invitation to the home of a woman by the nickname "Pochy," who lives just three blocks from me and had a Fulbright years ago in the United States. She had a colleague visiting from the University of Northern Iowa. We sat outside and talked for another three hours! Pochy introduced me to the Mango Sour and the Piscola. Pisco is an alcohol produced from grapes in Chile and Peru. Piscola is made with Pisco and Coke. Anyway, the day was full of good friends, good food, and good conversation. And - it was all in Spanish, and I noticed how much easier it was for me than it was three weeks ago! :)

1 comment:

  1. It certainly sounds like people are extremely friendly to you. That is so good to hear.

    Sally

    ReplyDelete